Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at GBH
For more than 60 years, GBH has lived its mission to enrich people's lives through programs and services that educate, inspire, and entertain, fostering citizenship and culture, the joy of learning, and the power of diverse perspectives. In the work we do—and how and with whom we do it - we are constantly striving to make a positive difference for our employees and for the public we serve. Diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility (DEIA) is core to our mission and strategy and is part of our underlying commitments. We think of it as "widening our lens.” As a leader in public media serving a diverse community, we have a responsibility to be transparent and accountable for the transformation underway. GBH is on a journey, but - thanks to our staff, board, contributors and many more - we are moving forward every day.
To meet this goal, we are:
- Shaping our workforce and our boards reflect and represent the communities we serve, recognizing the value of diverse voices in all that we do.
- Committing to representing the spectrum of diverse identities within the content we produce, both on and behind the camera.
- Focusing on hiring and retaining employees of color and providing ample opportunities to foster professional growth while becoming involved with shaping GBH’s culture and community.
- Increasing the diversity of our interns and supporting them through training and mentoring so that they can become the industry leaders of tomorrow.
DATA ABOUT OUR WORKFORCE AND BOARDS
Below, we are providing data on race and gender for our staff and boards as of December 31, 2019, December 31, 2020, and December 31, 2021. The information is organized by the following groups:
- Workforce (full-time and part-time staff employees and project contract employees)
- Executive Leadership (President/CEO, COO, Executive Team members)
- Content Teams (National Productions, Children’s Media and Education, Digital Services, World Channel/Local TV)
- News Teams (Local Newsroom/Radio, The World)
- New Hires; Interns
- Board of Trustees; Board of Advisors; Community Advisory Board
Employee data is based on employee self-identification as maintained in our system of record. Data on the composition of our boards is compiled by GBH. The term “BIPOC” used throughout the data sets stands for Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (including Pacific Islanders, Asians, and those of Hispanic or Latino/a/x ethnicity). Respondents who do not identify as male or female are counted but are not yet represented in the charts.